Implementation of Yoga or Meditation in all the schools and Junior Colleges in the State of Andhra Pradesh from classes VI to XII from the academic year 2016-17
In pursuance of the decision of Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, Ministry of Human Resource Development (GoI) has transferred four components of the “Scheme on Quality Improvement in Schools” to National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT). “Introduction of Yoga in Schools” is one of the components to be implemented by NCERT. Yoga has
been an integral part of the subject “Health and Physical Education”, which is a compulsory subject up to the secondary school stage.
The prime outline of the stipulations made in the National Curriculum Framework - 2005 and the Position Paper on Health and Physical Education emphasizes “Participation of all children in free play, informal and formal games, Yoga and sports activities for their physical and psycho-social development”.
Government have also observed that Yoga or Meditation is essentially a discipline based on an extremely subtle science, which focuses on bringing harmony between mind and body. It is physical activity for healthy living
Government, after careful examination of the matter, hereby orders for implementation of Yoga or Meditation in all schools and Junior Colleges from classes VI to XII from the academic year 2016-17 as a part and parcel of Physical Literacy in the State of Andhra Pradesh by involving reputed Yoga
Organizations in the country, especially ISHA Foundation as a coordinator of the Programme.
- This programme shall be implemented in all categories of schools and Jr. Colleges functioning under the Government, aided and unaided Private managements imparting education from classes VI to XII in the State of Andhra Pradesh
- Services of reputed Yoga / Meditation organizations shall be utilized in promoting Yoga or Meditation for benefiting the Students, Teachers etc of the State. Their services may be utilized for Establishment of centers of excellence in Yoga & Naturopathy / Meditation wellness centers etc., for imparting training to Students, Volunteers, PETs and other working teachers / lecturers in School / Intermediate Education
- Continue the Yoga / Meditation training programme designed for Physical Education Teachers / Physical Directors working in the School / Intermediate Education Department
- The School Education Department shall design a detailed training and skill development programme with Yoga courses / Meditation courses ranging from basic, advanced and professional levels of Yoga / Meditation. Trained personnel will be facilitated to get accreditation under the Govt. of India schemes of accreditation of Yoga / Meditation professionals. The refresher courses shall also be designed for improvement of Yoga / Meditation skills
- Adopt the existing syllabus of Education Department of State for imparting Yoga / Meditation Education and if it is necessary, for any improvements in syllabus, shall decide based on NCERT guidelines. The books, prescribed by the National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT) for Yoga shall also be utilized for Yoga / Meditation training
- The Inspecting authority, as the case may be, shall inspect the institution along with a qualified and trained Yoga or Meditation Teacher to monitor the implementation of Yoga or Meditation, assess the quality of implementation etc. The assistance from the representatives of Yoga / Meditation organizations shall also be utilized at the time of inspection
- Registrations of organizations / qualified individuals, who are having required Yoga or Meditation skills, shall be started, well before opening of Schools / Jr. Colleges for the academic year 2016-17. As soon as empanelment is over, allocation of specific districts/divisions and areas will be completed and the training programmes will commence thereafter and will be completed before 30th of June, 2016
- The School Education Department shall assign specific areas namely districts / divisions or tasks to the reputed and eligible organizations/ individuals who are interested and willing in promoting Yoga or Meditation
- The School Education Department shall involve ISHA Foundation for overall coordination in implementation of Yoga / Meditation in the State as the Government of India has nominated the ISHA Foundation to coordinate the programme in Andhra Pradesh
- The Teachers/Lecturers must be trained in all aspects of Yoga or Meditation by reputed Yoga / Meditation Organizations/ foundations before introducing Yoga or Meditation in Schools
- The Commissioner of School Education has to make necessary budgetary allocations towards purchase of material such as ‘Dari’ / Mattresses for performing Yoga / Meditation and other requirements like playground or indoor hall in the institutions, functioning under School Education Department. In respect of Junior Colleges, the Commissioner / Director of Intermediate Education is responsible for such issues
- Support of non-governmental organizations, reputed Yoga / Meditation organizations and individuals who are willing to come forward the implementation of this initiative with their own source of funding and infrastructure etc, shall also be taken. Funding under corporate social responsibility and Smart Village Smart Andhra Pradesh partnership may also be explored
- The Audio Visual equipment available in the digital classrooms shall be utilized for teaching of Yoga or Meditation, where necessary
- In Private Schools/Jr. Colleges where the existing PET/P.D. is not qualified to teach Yoga or Meditation, a Yoga or Meditation knowing instructor shall be appointed by the management at their own cost
- Implementation of Yoga or Meditation is mandatory for all types of Educational Institutions imparting education at classes VI to XII
Start Download Here